Wednesday, May 16, 2012

DYI: Gradient Polish Design

I am loving the gradient polish design that is all the rage! Tonight, I decided to try it on myself and I got great results. To attempt this design, you'll need the following items: two contrasting nail polish colors, a base coat (I recommend Seche), and a makeup sponge (the disposable kind is fine).

Step 1: Apply your base coat and two coats of your primary color; let dry.

Step 2: Paint a strip of your secondary color onto the edge of your makeup sponge and dab onto the very tip of your nails.

Step 3: Dab side to side and work your way upwards to the center of your nail bed. Always dab from the bottom up so that the tips are the darkest. This is what creates the gradient effect.

Step 4: Repeat on all nails, let dry and use a cotton swab to clean up around your nail beds. Apply top coat and admire your DYI Gradient Design at home manicure.

Tip: This is also a cool way to accent your big toe for a funky and unique pedicure design.

I used Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear nail color in White On as my primary shade and Orly's Mirror Mirror color as my secondary gradient color. I completed the look with Orly's high gloss top coat.

Post comments on how this look worked for you. What are some of your favorite colors when wearing the gradient design?

Enjoy the photos that inspired me!

1 comment:

  1. I've never tried the gradients before, but I have seen people wearing red gradients. Red is my favorite nail polish color, so I may try a red gradient for the Fourth of July.

    ReplyDelete