Friday, May 4, 2012

My One Year Natural Hair Anniversary!

My last relaxer was in May 2011 and I've been transitioning for one year this month! I never thought I'd actually make it, yet here I am! The amount of time, conversation and research I've put into my natural hair is remarkable, even for me. Tonight, I let my mama chop what I am pretty sure are the LAST of my relaxed ends! (I'll know for sure when I wash my hair in the morning...)

For anyone thinking about going natural, it is an amazing journey -- difficult, but amazing! I am an extreme length whore and maintaining the length of my hair is very important to me so over the last year I did two semi-big chops and trimmed my ends about every six to seven weeks. My mama semi-big chopped me the first time which was about six months into my journey. The second big chop was in February at the Devachan Salon & Spa in SoHO, NYC. I will review my Devachan experience in a separate post.

Transitioning for me was time consuming and at times beyond frustrating. I remember getting Senegalese twists for about eight weeks of my journey and crying real tears when I washed and had to detangle my hair after removing them. I remember calling my friends and sobbing that I would be a natural hair failure. Despite the hopelessness I felt, I forged on and made it through the six, seventh and eighth months which were by far the most difficult in terms of matching and managing the two textures. The last three months since I had my second semi-big chop done at Devachan have been a breeze compared to the beginning.

If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't have it any other way. I had a amazing transitioning support system and one of my best friends transitioned with me. Above all else, going natural gave me patience and a sense of appreciation and respect for my hair that I never thought I'd have and I love my hair so much more having gone through this process! I LOVE MY HAIR!


No comments:

Post a Comment