Friday, May 25, 2012

My Super Chunky Twist Out

I've always had much appreciation for the natural hair twist out but I never quite "loved" it until I tried 'Mae's Super Chunky Twist Out' on my my own natural hair. To achieve the look, it is necessary to blow dry your hair straight and start with mostly dry, straight hair. For my best look using Mae's technique, I don't apply any leave-in conditioners or styling products prior to drying my hair.

To begin, you will need the following products or your favorite similar products. Note: I've tried this style with one of my absolute favorite products, Cantu Shea Butter, but I found that it didn't work as well as a creamy gel/pudding like Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding.

Step  1:
Blow dry your hair using a comb attachment nozzle from its naturally wet state until it is mostly dry. I use my Yellow Bird dryer that came highly recommended by stylists at my local Beauty Supply store.

Step 2:
Part your hair where you normally wear it and section it into large sections that will be your chunky twists.

Step 3:
Apply the Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding to each section, root to end, prior to twisting and then twist and if needed, secure your twist at the end w/ a Goody rubber band. Some people won't need to do this but my hair never stays twisted in the front without first securing the ends.

Step 4:
Work your way around your entire head, twisting the large sections and securing them as necessary. Apply your scarf and remove after several hours, usually overnight.

That's all folks! Four simple steps for an amazing style that gave me three full days of wear before I repeated the process. Hope it works for you! As always, leave you questions and comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment